Re: [IP] What problems are you having with biking

- --------------27F6F54FE285A545E4E6CA8C

Celia:..I'm not a cyclist but I do swim laps.. I am having the same problems..I
was dropping my basal rate 2 hours before swimming..I eat supper at 5pm. and swim
at 8pm..so I was under the impression that my supper time bolus would be out of
my system by 8.. ( I use Humalog in my pump)....What was happening, I was going
in the water with good sugars 7.7 to 12 range, half an hour into the swim, my
BG's would drop into 3 - 4 range..then after 3 hours my BG's range was 12 to 17..
my endo suggested yesterday to take a bolus of 5 units after the swim to
counteract the rise in BG..I will try this tonite.. and I'm am thinking about
reducing my bolus at suppertime meal.. will keep you posted..
Yours in Pumping,

Celia McInnis wrote:

> Hi Steve:
> I'm a very keen cyclist from Ottawa Canada. I've had diabetes for almost 30
> years and  I've been pumping for 10 months now. The pump has made it much
> easier for me to exercise safely. (Certainly I have quite a collection of war
> wounds from "those surprise Ultra Lente attacks" when cycling in the "old
> days").
> There are just two  pumping-cycling "problems" which I have had:
> 1. I can't hear pump alarms over traffic and wind noise. Twice I had no
> delivery alarms when riding and didn't hear them for more than an hour each
> time. This is really not much of a problem for me since my muscles seem to be
> really good at using glucose.
> 2. I can have quick drops in bg  if  I cycle too soon after a bolus. This is
> really more an insulin problem than a pump problem.  If I exercise hard but
> sub-anaerobically (really hard exercise usually causes my bg's to increase)
> within 3 hours of a mealtime bolus of Humalog I get into trouble (leg jerks,
> etc.). In order to avoid this kind of trouble, I have an awful lot of really
> late  (post-cycling) suppers!
> There are lots of other important  issues for pumping exercisers - for
> instance, whether or not you change your basal rates before, after or during
> exercise. What is so nice about the pump is that it gives you the opportunity
> to make these kinds of modifications easily  if you want to or need to. I
> really appreciate not being  held captive by those long-acting insulins!
> Celia McInnis
> Steve Fuller-Stow wrote:
> > I am a cyclist and pumper, in most cases the pump has made it easier.  What
> > problems are you having?

- --------------27F6F54FE285A545E4E6CA8C

begin:          vcard
fn:             Pat and Dave Springall