Re: [IP] ONE RATE!!!!!!!!!!

Barbara wrote:
> Maybe we are unique in our diabetes center...but...when we make an informed
> guess, it is because we have evaluated and profiled an individual's BG history
> and lifestyle before we calculate starting basal rates.  The key word is
> "starting", as they are estimates. Pardon my defensiveness, but this team IS
> NOT trained the way some of the teams are, according to your opinion.  Our
> philosophy is that each person with diabetes is unique, and each has their own
> "diabetes thumbprint".  One size does NOT fit all. The most important person
> on our team is the person who is pumping...and testing...and reporting
> numbers...so we can analyze the situation TOGETHER and make the appropriate
> adjustments.  We try very hard to help our patients to not need us.  I don't
> intend to come across as defending all other pump programs, I am not. I can
> only speak for the program I coordinate. <smile>

My comments are not intended as criticisim, but as a constructive
warning to new an prospective pumpers not to take anything for
granted. There are too many horror stories. I believe it is a
necessary part of a pumpers life to know how to and when to check
basal rates, ratios, and insulin requirements. Leaving that for
someone else to do invites mistakes. The pumper lives with diabetes
24 hours a day, everyday for the rest of their life. Their medical
team maybe very good or not so good, that's not the point. The
medical team may always be available on call, but they do go home at
5:00 and eventually the pumper will be left to his/her own common
sense when something comes up. Knowledge is power in these
circumstances. Of course, there is always the Insulin-Pumpers list

BTW, thanks for your very valuable contributions to the list.