[IP] Children pumping

This is purely anecdotal, but I know a 13 year old girl who wanted to pump
but had A1cs of about 13 because she didn't like to test.  (she had gone to
camp and found that several of her friends were pumping and they all
thought it was the cool thing to do.) She has a wonderful doc and he was
reluctant but let her go ahead and try after emphasizing how important it
was for her to test frequently.  She did have one close call, but she more
than learned her lesson.  Her A1c is now 8.  And she loves her pump so much
that she is willing to do what it takes to keep it.  And she understands
the risks if she doesn't test.  I think the risk was well worth the change
from a 13 A1c to an 8.

I think the pump tends to be a motivator in BG control.  It was in our
case. and seems to be with the 13 year old.   So I think any teen who
recognizes that they are going to need to test more should be given the
opportunity to try the pump.  It seems almost a foregone conclusion that
their control will improve.  There doesn't seem to be very many used pumps
for sale!

Diane Massey