Re: [IP] A1c question?

     I've located some more information on this topic that keeps popping
up.  Although there have been several comments suggesting that once high BG
increased the A1c, it couldn't be decreased, It seems that the sugar
coating on the red blood cells can come off if you do lower your BG.  The
reaction rate for lowering this is much less that that for forming the
glycated Hb, but it is reversible.  In the website fro Ohio State below it
says that for this reason, the A1C measurement only is a representative
value for the past month, not 3 months.  In fact, even this measurement
will be dominated by your BGs over just the last 2 weeks!  They also found
some rather large variation among different subjects, that makes comparing
the A1Cs in different people not very useful.  The variation was 1 to 2 %
in A1C for the same BG!.   This large variation also makes that formula
Michael posted relating BG to A1C  not very reliable.  However in a single
person, the A1C was tightly and reproducibly correlated with the BG, so if
we do lower our average BGs, then it will be reflected in the A1c.  I found
that this information helped explain a lot of the comments and confusion
that has been expressed on this list.   The site is at:
- -wm

<<<<<<<<<<From: email @ redacted
It is stuck to the red blood cell (hence the hemoglobin terminology) and lasts
the life cycle of the red blood cell, which I believe is somewhere between 30
- - - 60 days.

Wayne Mitzner
The Johns Hopkins University
615 N. Wolfe St.,  Baltimore, MD 21205