Re: [IP] High BG/Exercise

Ellen, I've been exercising for years at whatever my BG was.  There has
been some concern that glucagon is more or less released at higher BG
(which never made much sense to me), so that the exercise could cause the
liver glycogen to break down and cause the bG to rise even further.  But
even if it did you would still get an exercise benefit later on.  This is
one of thsoe YMMV things, but I'm like you.  I think it is wrong to
categorically suggest that one should not exercise when BG is above a
certain level.  There are so many nondiabetic benefits of exercise that one
should never look for new ways to discourage it.  My BG almost always falls
varying amounts (more when I'm high!) immediately afte exercise.  I find
though that my muscles feel better and seem to fatigue less when my BG is
between 80 - 100.  I also find that if I'm low immediately after exercise
(50 - 60), my BG tends to spontaneously rise.  So I usually resist the
temptation to eat.  But its sometimes not easy--that Coke sure tastes fine.
- -wm

<<<<<<From: email @ redacted
I have a question concerning high BGs and exercise.  I have read and seen on
this site where people with diabetes are NOT suppose to exercise when their BG
is over 200+ or some high number that I can't remember now.  I have never
found this to be a problem in my case and I am wondering why it is a problem
for some.  For instance, this a.m., my BG was 300, I ran 5 miles, my BG was
95.  Running brought my BG down without taking insulin.  I knew that this BG
was a rebound from an earlier 61 at about 6 a.m. so I was not worried about a
clogged tube or catheter.  I have done this several times with no problem.  In
fact, I know when my BG hits around 150 because I will start sprinting.  This
is not a typical experience for me but it does occur occassionally with no
problems.  Just wondering why this is considered dangerous.  ellen
P.S.  I also have to check more after this kind of run because I will go low
again later.>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wayne Mitzner
The Johns Hopkins University
615 N. Wolfe St.,  Baltimore, MD 21205