Re: [IP] Pizza and Chinese Food

>My dietician and Diabetes Educator suggested using the square bolus for eating
>foods like Chinese cuisine and pizza, due to the long digestion timeframe.
>Could someone suggest more information on how to address this type of food.  I
>really enjoy it, but am unsure of it's effect and how to adjust my boluses to
>accomodate my enjoyment of this food.  I usually eat either one about once a
>I was told it takes longer to digest these foods due to the fat content
>(high).  Do you/should I take the same amount of insulin (humalog) as normal,
>but just spread it out over a square bolus?  That is what was suggested.

Just gotta through my $.02 in 'cause I love chinese food!

Most chinese dishes contain very little fat and very high carbs.

Now, North Americanized Chinese foods like those deep fried chicken balls
and sweet & sour dishes are high in both carbs and fat.

I'm not on the pump yet but from my expereince you must treat each dish
differently.  I often take an ijection of H at the begining of the meal and
another in about 2 hours depending on the bg level.  (ie a square wave

Pizza on the other hand I can't eat at all 'cause for some reason; no
matter how much insulin I take it severely elevates my bg for an extended
period of time.  I'm told that pizza to us is like coffee.  For some it
raises bg due to reasons other than food energy content and for others it
can be treated as any other food.  YMMV.

Darrin Parker
email @ redacted   Nova Scotia, Canada!