Re: [IP] High BGs--Advice, Please!

Mary Jean:

Thanks so much for your speedy reply.

I'm not really sure if this is the week before my period because my cycle
is very erratic (the more so since I seem to have become peri-menopausal),
but it COULD be.  However, I do not typically have such a profound change
just before my period.  Could this effect occur only with some periods, and
not with others?

After sending my post, I continued to read some of the other posts and one
sparked in me the thought about activity levels.  Mine have changed
considerably, so I think you are on target there.  Although my previous job
was a "desk-job," it also involved quite a bit of moving around, whereas I
am not pretty much parked in front of a computer terminal for hours on end.

My BGs have generally been higher since I started this training program 5
weeks ago, so perhaps the extreme problem I'm having this week is a
combination of approaching period, less activity, and stress.

The low I had the other morning DID follow exercise, though no more
exercise than I had had other mornings during the week.  I can't remember
for sure, but I think it may have been cooler outside that morning, and I
know that my BGs vary a lot according to temps, so maybe that is the
explanation.  Other than this one low day, and one other day where I was a
bit less than 80, I've been high just about all the time.

On the basis of this, I've decided to raise my basals across the board,
adjusting each upward by .1.  I'll probably be conservative and allow 2
days before I raise it again (if I'm still high), since my endo has told me
that it takes at least that long for the change to fully impact.  Do you
know how much one would typically need to up the basal to adjust for less
activity, and will this cause me to gain weight?  I was on .4 from midnight
to 3 am, .6 from 3 am to 10 am, and .5 the rest of the day, so a .1 overall
increase would be significant.  Maybe I will try just upping the daytime
first because I'm nervous about lows.

Thanks a lot for your helpful response.  I feel a lot more hopeful that I
will be able to resolve this problem.

- --Laurel

PS--Hope it is okay for me to respond on-list.  I thought someone else
might benefit.