Re: [IP] A1c levels

> I'd be very interested in learning how to do calculations for the A1C.  After
> all, we are the ones in control of our body!!!!!!!  Thanks

You can't do calculations for your hbA1c per se. It is a measurement
done on your red blood cells that takes into account the glucose
levels present in the blood over the last 90 days. Red blood cells
have a life of about 90 days. The measurement is useful to let you
know how you are doing over the long term, and is more meaningful
than your meter readings for that purpose. You can not calculate
hbA1c from the meter readings no matter how many you may have.

You can get a relative number for your average bg level during the 90
day period by converting the hbA1c using this formula:

avg bg level = ( HbA1c * 33.3 ) - 86

The control you can exert on you bg's is by having your basal rates
set correctly and by good carbo counting habits. The book 'Pumping
Insulin' has a lot of good information about how to do this. In
addition, there are numerous books in the BOOKS section of the web
site that give comprehensive listings of carb content of various
foodstuffs, both 'fast', home-cooked, and raw materials. There are
direct links to from the book references to Amazon.com, so you can
purchase the books at discount if you choose to do so.

In addition to all that, there are numerous HOWTO's and FAQ's on the
web site as well that deal with various aspects of carb counting,
setting basal rates, estimating and measuring ratios, etc.....