Re: [IP] Calling all Coffee Lovers

I love coffee and I love it with Nutra sweet and flavored coffemate.  I =
have to bolus for that.  NOW for the first time, for any of you who may be =
interested, Walmart makes a sugar free "coffemate" type creamer.  I have =
looked for one for years and am delighted with it.  Bought four bottles so =
far.    I still have to bolus about two units for the equivalent of three =
or four cups of coffee.  =20

Bonnie Richardson
COLSA, 256.922.1512, x1805

Frank W. Tegethoff, jr. wrote:
> Hi Mary Jean,
> I live a VERY caffinated (sp) life.  I live in SF and coffee is an =
intergaral  and essential part of my day.
> When I was first diagnosed, I ask my doc about coffee.  He said that =
there was no 'danger' of enjoying that delightful beverage.  Over the past =
13 years I have found that caffine does not effect my Bg.  It sounds like =
you have a real puzzler on you hands.
> Have you thought that the higher Bgs may be related to 'brand' rather =
than 'strength'?  Maybe there is 'something' in the processing that the =
cart uses.  Good luck and take care.
> Frank
> ----------
> > Who else besides me on the list is a coffee junkie?  Do you notice =
that it
> > causes problems with your blood sugar?  I'm talking about the straight =
> > unadulterated brew here, not with a bunch of milk and sugar and =
flavored syrup
> > added.
> >
> > Here's the background for my question.  I normally make my own coffee =
at home
> > and drink a couple of cups in the morning without a problem.  =
Yesterday, my
> > morning cup didn't seem to satisfy me (it was cold and rainy and I =
wanted the
> > comfort of a hot beverage) so I bought a cup after lunch from a campus
> > espresso cart.  I just got their plain jane house blend, nothing fancy =
> > time, no espresso, no latte, just good ol' joe.  I had been having a =
> > bg day, staying in the 90's.  An hour after I got the coffee, my bg =
was 222.

> > They make their coffee stronger than I do at home. Does anyone know =
for sure
> > if caffeine has a recognized affect on bg?  Perhaps my body has =
adapted to my
> > personal brew but can't handle *extra* strength stuff.  When I make =
> > at home, I bolus for the milk in my latte and life is great!  I'm =
> > very leary of coffee houses and espresso carts.
> >
> > Mary Jean
> >
> > Insulin-Pumpers website http://www.bizsystems.com/Diabetes/=20
> >
> Insulin-Pumpers website http://www.bizsystems.com/Diabetes/=20

I have a mega-caffeinated life as well.  At one time, I was drinking
about 40 cups of coffee per day.  I have seriously cut back now...to
about 5-10 cups per day.

I have mine imported from Sweden.

The only time I notice higher sugars is if I'm putting cremer in the