Re: [IP] glucagon nightmare

Well, the muscles are pretty selfish, and the glycogen doesn't get through
the cell.  I guess if the glycogen gets broken down first, and the muscles
don't use all the glucose, some of the glucose might get out into the
blood, but this is not a major source of blood glucose.  It the liver's
job.  When you inject into muscle, you are not injecting into the cells
(which are maybe 50 times smaller than the needle.  Rather you are taking
advantage of the very high capillary density in the muscle tissue to
decrease the diffusion distance and time.  That makes the blood
concentration increase much more quickly than if you just went into the
subcutaneous fat layers.  The same is true for insulin--injection or
pumping into muscle will deliver it to the blood much faster.  This might
be good for pumping, but unfortunately the sites wouldn't last very long.
- -wm

<<<<<<<<<<From: John Neale <email @ redacted>
> But
> if I remember my physiology correctly, I don't think the body can mobilize
> glycogen from the muscles.  That is, the muscles can use the stored sugar,
> but I don't think that muscle glycogen breakdown can raise the BG.  That
> happens just from the liver glycogen.
Ah! That's interesting. My basic trusty medical book just says glucose
is stored as glycogen mainly in the liver and muscles, and is released
back into the blood as glucose in the presence of glucagon and
adrenaline. But it's no more specific. I'd always assumed you were
intructed to inject glucagon into muscle, rather than fat, so that it
started working immediately releasing glucose from that bit of muscle.

Wayne Mitzner
The Johns Hopkins University
615 N. Wolfe St.,  Baltimore, MD 21205
Tel. 410 614 5446,   Fax 410 955 0299