[IP] Some additional glucagon information

I've been following the glucagon thread with interest, but suddenly
realized I didn't know a whole lot about how this stuff actually works,
what's involved, etc. This is likely due to the fact that I was never
conscious when it was being used on me ;-|

There are a number of good links which help to explain the process in
simple terms. One site I'm growing fond of is called "Endocrineweb.com".
The articles are written by doctors in plain language, so even I can
understand them <vbg>. Good pictures as well as some good links.

The URL for the glucagon specific reference is:

Point of interest:  The FDA granted approval in June of 1998 to Novo
Nordisk (they make Velosulin, among other things) for distribution of a
product called "GlucaGen". This product is "chemically identical to human
glucagon" (of DNA origin, much like Humulin, also of DNA origin, is
"chemically identical to human insulin"). According to Novo, this
genetically engineered product "eliminates the risk of acquiring bovine
spongiform encephalitis, from glucagon therapy, a potential risk from
animal-derived glucagon".

For those who might be interested, there is also some good info on
Carbohydrate Metabolism at this site:
http://www.prm.unisa.edu.au/h%26p2carb.htm Most of the things we need to
know about carbohydrate metabolism as insulin pumpers is covered in depth
here. Be warned, though - it's written like they are giving an examination
afterwards - looks like college material.

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted