Re: [IP] Calling all Coffee Lovers

Frank W. Tegethoff, jr. wrote:
> Hi Mary Jean,
> I live a VERY caffinated (sp) life.  I live in SF and coffee is an intergaral  and essential part of
my day.
> When I was first diagnosed, I ask my doc about coffee.  He said that there was no 'danger' of
enjoying that delightful beverage.  Over the past 13 years I have found that caffine does not effect
my Bg.  It sounds like you have a real puzzler on you hands.
> Have you thought that the higher Bgs may be related to 'brand' rather than 'strength'?  Maybe
there is 'something' in the processing that the cart uses.  Good luck and take care.
> Frank
> ----------
> > Who else besides me on the list is a coffee junkie?  Do you notice that it
> > causes problems with your blood sugar?  I'm talking about the straight black,
> > unadulterated brew here, not with a bunch of milk and sugar and flavored syrup
> > added.
> >
> > Here's the background for my question.  I normally make my own coffee at home
> > and drink a couple of cups in the morning without a problem.  Yesterday, my
> > morning cup didn't seem to satisfy me (it was cold and rainy and I wanted the
> > comfort of a hot beverage) so I bought a cup after lunch from a campus
> > espresso cart.  I just got their plain jane house blend, nothing fancy this
> > time, no espresso, no latte, just good ol' joe.  I had been having a "super"
> > bg day, staying in the 90's.  An hour after I got the coffee, my bg was 222.
> >
> > They make their coffee stronger than I do at home. Does anyone know for sure
> > if caffeine has a recognized affect on bg?  Perhaps my body has adapted to my
> > personal brew but can't handle *extra* strength stuff.  When I make espresso
> > at home, I bolus for the milk in my latte and life is great!  I'm becoming
> > very leary of coffee houses and espresso carts.
> >
> > Mary Jean
> >
> > Insulin-Pumpers website http://www.bizsystems.com/Diabetes/

I have a mega-caffeinated life as well.  At one time, I was drinking
about 40 cups of coffee per day.  I have seriously cut back now...to
about 5-10 cups per day.

I have mine imported from Sweden.

The only time I notice higher sugars is if I'm putting cremer in the