Re: [IP] Not just Nova Scotia

>I would love to learn about Nova Scotia.  What is CDA up to?  Is JDF
>active in your province?  Do you have active Diabetes Clinics?

No questoin about it.  New brunswick is the most progressive Atlantic
Canada probince in many ways.

CDA?  Don't know what they are up to.  Don't care.  JDF, although I was a
member for many years, I have seen a presence in NS.

We haev "Diabetes Clinics" here.  However I have not been to one since
1990.  My mother has been to them over the last four years.  She was diag
as type I in 1994.

In know from my past expereince and that of my mom's that these clinics
present us with a most huliating and degrading experience.  I gave up on
any control for a while just because of the clincs.

There are terrible people in these clinics.  There is absolutley no
discussion or exchange between the patient and the "health professional".
You sit there and they tell you what to do and if you don't:  "or else".
They refuse to discuss anything.  No carb counting, no alternatives.
Everything seems to come form a book on diabetes probably published in 1960.

One more thing about these clinics is that there is no integration between
the nurse, dietition and doctor at all!  Three hands and none of them speak
to each other!

When I was younger I came away form these places crying.  Now I watch my
mom do the same.  She has decided to keep two sets of books:  one for her
own use and her docs and one for teh clinic's.  Of course, the clinic's
book has perfect test results!  They do not allow you more than one reading
above 8.0 in a month.  If you do have a high; you are non-compliant and get
the line:  "You diabetics... ..I've never seen a bunch so eager to destroy
themselves... ..now, if I were a diabetic I'd keep good tests so I would
never get complications".  Etc etc.

The only good endo i ever had provided me wiht the understanding that if
one was well versed and experienceds in the aspects of diabetes mgt it
would be a big step backwards to go to a diabetes clinic here.

Sorry for the ramble.  The mention of those places drives me nuts.  When I
get time; I am going to try a campaign to get qualified diabetes personnel
in those places and get rid of the "politcal appointees" who have little or
no education in diabetes.

Darrin Parker
email @ redacted   Nova Scotia, Canada!

Check out:  http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4750/intro.htm  and go