Re: [IP] A1c question?

Michael wrote:
> No

Waddaya mean Michael? You gave us your endo's lovely formula which
seemed linear to me. It is roughly the average of your bg's. A lot of
lows will cancel out a lot of highs. If you measure your bg's in mmol/l
(the Canadian/British way), then the HbA1c just happens to give a rough
guide to your average bg's: so if you are 10 mmol/l (180 mg/dl) most of
the time, your Hba1c might be around 10%, and if you are 5 (90) most of
the time, your bg might be around 5%.

A few years ago my clinic were worried my HbA1c was a bit low (5.9%) and
thought I might be having too many hypos (which brings it down). This
probably was the case: I was having plenty of long, slow nighttime hypos
which I came out of without actually waking. I would just wake with a
rebounding high, combined with a dawn effect, and then try to raise my
overnight NPH to correct this, and just get worse hypos... the crudeness
of overnight insulin...

- --
mailto:email @ redacted