Re: [IP] Dex and vitamin C and E

I'm including a summary of several posts from a well known endo at Harvard.
This subject has been discussed extensively on other lists I've belonged to
over the past three years. I have this one stashed in my archives. It's

There is something which is referred to as the "Harvard Prevention
Cocktail". As you'll note, there are some similar compounds. I don't take a
stance one way or the other on this, but offer it as general info.

Quoted text:

"No, there is no C peptide equivalent now, BUT you should try the "Harvard
Prevention Cocktail":

- - One aspirin, baby or full dose

- - 800 Units of vitamin E

- - 1 mg of folic acid (Requires prescription)

This "cocktail" has no side effects and it is very inexpensive.

It's called the Harvard Prevention Cocktail - just by a few people here -
because most of the epidemiological work that prove the efficacy of these
medications and the lack of efficacy of other "antioxidants" etc was done
here at Harvard.

The studies were done on something like 50,000 doctors from all over the
country and 100,000 nurses who fill up questionaires every 3 months for
many, many years.

they compile that and come up with these findings.

"Prevention" = it decreases your chances of a heart attack and stroke, the
vascular complications of DM. It is applicable to the general population
and it has not been tested specifically in persons with DM, but the
hardening of the arteries that you have with DM is essentially the same
that you get without DM. DM just accelerates the process and makes it more

One point that is NOT clear so far is if the dose of aspirin of a baby
aspirin (81 mg) is enough for a person with DM. Some experts advocate a
full adult aspirin instead."

End of quoted reference. Author: Dr. Arturo Rolla, MD.

Dianne Massey wrote:

>Also, in Pumping Insulin, John Walsh talks about the effect of vitamin C
>and E have on glycosated hemoglobin numbers. (p.130-)  One study showed
>that nondiabetics took 1000mg of C for three months and their HbA1c was
>lowered by 18%!  Vitamin E and SOD (superoxide dismutase) are also found to
>perhaps reduce the risk of complications because it slows the oxidation
>process which is greater in diabetics.  Lipoic acid as well as other
>antioxidants have been shown to perhaps lower the risk of complications.

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted