Re: [IP] Blood Sugar Testing

In a message dated 10/12/98 8:14:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<<  I do not INSIST that he test that often it is
 just what his life style requires.  >>

Please do not misunderstand my comments.
Testing 7-10 times a day is not what Spencer's life style requires it is what
you, his parent, feel most comfortable with.  It is imperative that Spencer's
blood be tested at least enough for you and he to make knowledgeable choices
about his control.  You may feel that 7-10 tests a day are critical but I have
lived over 38 years with diabetes and for the about first 20 years there were
NO blood testing machines available.  Today, I test at most 5 times a day.
There are many people on this list that probably test 3 to 5 times a day and
no more and probably have better control than you hope Spencer to ever have.
I can appreciate your desire to be totally aware of every thing Spencer's
blood sugar does.  Be forewarned too much control can lead to other problems,
not physiological, that you will not want to cause Spencer to go though.
Please realize that this is my opinion coming from 38 plus years as a diabetic
and being the father of a wonderful son who is 3 1/2 and a diabetic for 1
year.  Sam will learn that he has the ability to be the best that he can be as
long as he works for it and understands what he must do to be the best Sam he
can be.
Good Health and Happiness, Jeff.