Dennis -

In regards to your daughter's question of whether or not it hurts when the
needle goes in -
I just started on the pump about 4 months ago.  Prior to this time, I had a
real big aversion to giving my shot in the stomach (since I was about eight
years old).

What a wonderful surprise to find out that the first few times I tried it,
it didn't hurt at all!  I have a MiniMed 507C and I use the Sof-set infusion
set.  With this infusion set, you insert it into your abdomen with a device
called the Sof-serter -- it's similar to what you might use to prick your
finger for your blood glucose test.  You just hook up the infusion set and
hit a button and the Sof-serter injects it for you.  Once you have taped
everything down, the needle comes out (my favorite part!)and the teflon (I
think?) canula/tube stays in.  It is very comfortable!  It has been
occasionally uncomfortable since I have started, but nothing like what I
experienced four times a day with injections!

When you have to take a shower/bathe/swim, this infusion set has a quick
release that you just untwist from, do what you need to do, and hook back up
when you are ready.  I love it!

And as most pumpers would probably tell you, "I would never go back to

The MiniMed 507C also has several alarms that let you know when something
isn't quite right (out of insulin,etc.).  However, my pump trainer warned me
that you shouldn't wait for an alarm if you think something isn't quite
right -- always trust your own instincts.  So far, the only way I know that
you can get too much insulin is if you dial it up yourself!

Well, I have probably given you a bunch of information that you may have
already had - I hope it helps!

Best Rgds,
Andry Kennedy
Type 1 - 25 out of 27 years