Re: [IP] Calling all Coffee Lovers

Mary Jean, I'm an addict too, and I only take it straight.  Even have an
espresso machine here in my office!  But I can't say I've ever see any
correlation with BG.  However, I have noticed that when I'm at scientific
meetings, sometimes I sit at sessions all morning, and they are often so
dull that I find myself wishing I could be pumping coffee instead of
insulin.  I do guzzle it then and often my BG goes way high.  My
explanation has always been that the immobility of trapped sitting (there's
only so many pit stops one can do-at least us guys) gets my metabolism all
squanked up.  My Insulin to CHO ratio also goes way up too.  So keep
drinking that good stuff.  Just stop going to boring classes :-)
- -wm
<<<<<From: email @ redacted
Who else besides me on the list is a coffee junkie?  Do you notice that it
causes problems with your blood sugar?  I'm talking about the straight black,
unadulterated brew here, not with a bunch of milk and sugar and flavored syrup

Here's the background for my question.  I normally make my own coffee at home
and drink a couple of cups in the morning without a problem.  Yesterday, my
morning cup didn't seem to satisfy me (it was cold and rainy and I wanted the
comfort of a hot beverage) so I bought a cup after lunch from a campus
espresso cart.  I just got their plain jane house blend, nothing fancy this
time, no espresso, no latte, just good ol' joe.  I had been having a "super"
bg day, staying in the 90's.  An hour after I got the coffee, my bg was 222.

They make their coffee stronger than I do at home. Does anyone know for sure
if caffeine has a recognized affect on bg?  Perhaps my body has adapted to my
personal brew but can't handle *extra* strength stuff.  When I make espresso
at home, I bolus for the milk in my latte and life is great!  I'm becoming
very leary of coffee houses and espresso carts.
Mary Jean>>>>>>>>

Wayne Mitzner
The Johns Hopkins University
615 N. Wolfe St.,  Baltimore, MD 21205