Re: [IP] DAUGHTER TO TRY PUMP Help

> For about 6 months we talked to our 7 year old Daughter, Melissa about
> using the MiniMed 507c Pump.
> At last week's Endo visit the doctor showed her the pump and talked to
> her about it.
> Her reply? No way!

The almost universal response after going on the pump is "I'm never
going back to shots!"

> On the way home she asked a lot of questions and at night we talked
> more..telling her the decision is her's.
>
> Late at night she couldn't sleep and I asked her why, She said, I been
> thinking about the pump and I decided I want it.
>
> She has some questions she wants me to asked you.
>
> Does it Hurt when the needle goes in more or less then her regular
> injection?

Probably a little less. The area where the infusion set is placed is
actually less sensitive than the arms and legs. You will probably
want to have her do some injections in her tummy skin. I know this is
very intimidating. It took three weeks to convince my daughter (then
11) to do it, afterwards, she would no longer shoot her arms or legs
because she found it less painful in the tummy skin. It is also quite
easy to put that skin to sleep with an ice cube.

> Will it put to much insulin in by mistake?
Nope

> Will she be able to eat when she wants to or doesn't want to?
Yep, an ice-cream sundae is about 60 grams of carbo. Turns out that
ice-cream is one of the 'nice' foods to deal with when carbo
counting. It digests very evenly and is predictable. Cake is a little
tougher, but a 1/16 of a 'box cake' is about 50 - 65 grams, depending
on how you make the frosting. One must be careful not to over bolus
for cake, it's easy to get low..... but Lily had cake three times
this week (twice with ice-cream).

> I talked to a sales rep at MiniMed today and found out the Pump cost
> (507c) $5,000.00
> and supplies about 1,600 a year. Our  HMO insurance in Massachusetts
> will only cover $1,500 of the pump cost. The HMO also, said, they will
> not cover supplies, but the sales rep from MiniMed's records show they
> do cover supplies. Presently all her supplies are covered for Diabetes
> Care.
>
> Questions:
> Has anyone's insurance refused to pay some or all the cost of pump and
> supplies? And did you challenge them and get them to pay.
Yes to both. Don't be afraid to be a real a--hole about it. Sounds
like they are trying to get away with paying for half a pair of
Disetronic pumps. Several HMO's have taken that approach. Disetronic
has recently tried (successfully I think) to stop them from doing
this. They sell two at a time for regulatory reasons.

> What do you estimate the monthly cost of supplies?
>
> Can MiniMed price for the pump be adjusted?
>
> How did your insurance company's Handle the pump purchase and the
> supplies?
Mine did it with as much difficulty as possible. Took 18 months of
hassle and a threatenend lawsuit to get them to cough up the money
but they finally caved in and there has been no further problems.
They have always paid for the supplies without difficulty.

> Does the area of the needle insertion become sensitive over time?
The newer infusion sets are not really needles at all. They are a
teflon tube with an internal insertion 'needle' that is removed after
the set is put in place.

> Does the needle hurt when moving around?
Rarely.

> Can you tell me some pro's and con's about the pump?
>
> Thank you,
> Dennis Cardone
> PS. Melissa's picture is a my site under Waiting For A Cure section and
> e-mail her if you like.

Would you like to add Melissa's picture to your Insulin-Pumpers
profile (see the profiles in the Members Only area of the website)

Please respond directly to me on the picture matter
Michael