Re: [IP] Disetronic vs. Minimed - Users input needed please!!

I've got to disagree with you on a few points here, based on my

> I really like the minimed 507C. It looks "attractive" and it's the size
> of a pager. The "clicking" sound that you hear during insulin delivery
> is hardly noticeable. My husband didn't hear a thing and he was
> practially sitting on my knee. Trust me - no one will even blink when
> the insulin delivery is done.

I find the clicking noise very noticeable, even with the pump deep in my
trouser pocket. When we sit down to a quiet dinner in the evening, I get
several minutes of clicking. At business meals I don't wish to discuss
my sundry illnesses, and the pump can often draw a "what's that
clicking" comment. Fine if you like evangelising, but not so good if you
just want to get on with life.

It's also impossible to give a bolus without at least some beeping

> There is
> a lady here in town who uses a disetronic pump and she said she won't be
> dealing with them again. The reason for this is after 6-7 years you have
> to buy a new pump. When you send your pump in to be inspected, the pump
> that you get back is not necessarily the one you sent in. It could be
> someone elses to whom was having their pump inspected. There is no
> guaranty that the pump will be yours. To me, that really is not the way
> it should be.

The Minimed pumps have no routine servicing. This means you use it until
it breaks down (as all mechanical equipment does eventually). That seems
an odd way to maintain life dependent equipment. Just suppose they flew
jumbo jets until they broke down... Think 10 years down the line. Nobody
will know that a moving part of the pump is about to break until it
happens. Let's hope it doesn't happen at an inconvenient time and place,
and lets hope your insurers will get a new pump to you straight away!

In this context, the spare pump and routine maintenance of the
Disetronic seems far more attractive. You have the constant reassurance
that the pump is in perfect condition.

>I think which ever pump you decide on will be right for you.

But the point is, while both pumps are good, one pump may be better for
you in your particular circustances and with your own priorities.

The new endo I recently saw in Germany told me that he puts the Minimed
and Disetronic pumps on the table in front of all his new pump patients,
and lets them choose which they want. 80% choose the Disetronic.

(who has a 507 because it was cheaper in the UK)
- --
mailto:email @ redacted