Re: [IP] Nova Scotians

>Hi Fellow Pumpers..
>I was wondering if we had anyone on the list living in Nova Scotia,
>My family are relocating there, and I cannot find any info as to Prov.
>Medicare Plans.
>Does the Province cover any cost pretaining to diabetic/pumping

Hi!  Good to hear form you!  I live in Bridgewater NS.  I have nothing good
to say about this province's doctors nor the backwards medical system here.

Supplies:  Unless you are over 65 or on Social Assistance there is
absolutely no coverage for any diabetic supplies nor any prescription
drugs.  Get a private plan before moving here.

I am not on the pump but have been trying to find a doc to recommend a
three month trial for me.  There's one endo in NS who sees pump patients.
I finally got to see him last week after being on a 7 month waiting list.

This endo recommends the pump as a last resort only.  He advocates a very
regimented regime of snacks, meals and  closely timed injections of  NPH
and H or R.  I've maintained pretty good A1c's and daily control (except
where the am highs form the dawn phenomenon are concerned) on a UL/H regime
which allows me to avoid snacks and closely timed injections etc.

It has come to my attention that every endo and doc here, I've been to,save
one, all advocate the meal plan and old style timed insulin injections.
More than one endo has told me that pumps are on the way out and the
medical community is trying to get everyone in NS off pumps and back to a
standard meal plan/MDI regime.

So my next step to try the pump may to be go it 100% on my own or move to
another province.

That;s been my expereince here in NS.

Type I for 25 years.  Intensive MDI for 9 years.

Darrin Parker
email @ redacted   Nova Scotia, Canada!

Check out:  http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4750/intro.htm  and go
FORWARD to "The Article".