Dennis Cardone wrote:
> Does it Hurt when the needle goes in more or less then her regular
> injection?

It can hurt about the same as a shot if it's near a nerve. This can be
avoided by touching the needle to the skin and pushing just the tip in
slightly. If it hurts move it elsewhere.

> Will it put to much insulin in by mistake?

No, the safety systems in either brand of pump will shut them down
automatically and give a loud alarm if it does so. I haven't heard of
ANYBODY this actually happened to. Older pumps in the early 80s sometimes
hsd those problems, but new electronics make them very safe.
> Will she be able to eat when she wants to or doesn't want to?

Absolutely! That's what most of the kids on pumps here enjoy most. Not only
can the eat WHEN they want, to some extent they can eat WHAT they want once
they find the proper doses for particular foods. Oreos come to mind.....
> I talked to a sales rep at MiniMed today and found out the Pump cost
> (507c) $5,000.00
> and supplies about 1,600 a year. Our  HMO insurance in Massachusetts
> will only cover $1,500 of the pump cost. The HMO also, said, they will
> not cover supplies, but the sales rep from MiniMed's records show they
> do cover supplies. Presently all her supplies are covered for Diabetes
> Care.
> Questions:
> Has anyone's insurance refused to pay some or all the cost of pump and
> supplies? And did you challenge them and get them to pay.

Yes, it's been known to happen. Best thing to do is get everything possible
from them in writing, if not write it down as soon as possible and keep
track of name, date etc to make a case if necessary. Prove to them that
expenses will DECREASE long term, and get the pump rep to feed them
> What do you estimate the monthly cost of supplies?

It depends on what she uses. Personally I use Comfort infusion sets,
which have a Teflon catheter. They cost a bit more than steel needles, but
cause less irritation so the last longer, a cost effective feature. Besides
that they bend when you move, so damage below the skin is more less, just
the original hole with no expansion.
> Can MiniMed price for the pump be adjusted?

MiniMed will charge the same, but they are willing to set up a reasonable
length payment plan at no interest to get you started.

> How did your insurance company's Handle the pump purchase and the
> supplies?

Mine just paid for it all at 100%, but that was because I got it (intentionally)
in December when it exceeded my "max annual out of pocket" amount, which may
not apply to an HMO.

> Does the area of the needle insertion become sensitive over time?

Infusion sets need to be changed every few days no matter what. Most people
won't go more than 3 or 4 days on a site, some go for a week at a time.
Some people get a sentive area after too many cycles, but there are alternative
sights that can be used to relieve the abdomen for a while to allow it to

> Does the needle hurt when moving around?

With steel needles this is likely, with Teflon catheters such as
Silhouettes or MiniMed QRs it's rather unlikely. Once in a great while a Teflon
catheter gets kinked below skin level and may be painfful, but then it needs to

Ted Quick
email @ redacted
Type 1 for 42 years, MiniMed 506 pump for 4.8 years