For about 6 months we talked to our 7 year old Daughter, Melissa about
using the MiniMed 507c Pump.
At last week's Endo visit the doctor showed her the pump and talked to
her about it.
Her reply? No way!

On the way home she asked a lot of questions and at night we talked
more..telling her the decision is her's.

Late at night she couldn't sleep and I asked her why, She said, I been
thinking about the pump and I decided I want it.

She has some questions she wants me to asked you.

Does it Hurt when the needle goes in more or less then her regular

Will it put to much insulin in by mistake?

Will she be able to eat when she wants to or doesn't want to?

I talked to a sales rep at MiniMed today and found out the Pump cost
(507c) $5,000.00
and supplies about 1,600 a year. Our  HMO insurance in Massachusetts
will only cover $1,500 of the pump cost. The HMO also, said, they will
not cover supplies, but the sales rep from MiniMed's records show they
do cover supplies. Presently all her supplies are covered for Diabetes

Has anyone's insurance refused to pay some or all the cost of pump and
supplies? And did you challenge them and get them to pay.

What do you estimate the monthly cost of supplies?

Can MiniMed price for the pump be adjusted?

How did your insurance company's Handle the pump purchase and the

Does the area of the needle insertion become sensitive over time?

Does the needle hurt when moving around?

Can you tell me some pro's and con's about the pump?

Thank you,
Dennis Cardone
PS. Melissa's picture is a my site under Waiting For A Cure section and
e-mail her if you like.

- --
Diabetes Information Web Site