[IP] Disetronic -- pros and cons

** Reply to message from insulin-pumpers-digest <email @ redacted> o=
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 11:36:02 -0700
> From: trifona <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Disetronic vs. Minimed - Users input needed please!!

I've had a disetronic for about 22 months, so here's my experience.  I won't
say anything about the Medtronic, since I'm not really familiar with it.

I picked the Disetronic because
* I valued the water-proofness for swimming and snorkeling
* holding them both, I liked the slightly more compact "feel" of the Disetronic
(even though the actual physical specs show them as essentially the same size)
* the pump educators I would be working with had more experience with the
Disetronic, and since I would be using them for info etc...

One thing I like about it which isn't mentioned:  since it has fairly
simple/minimal controls and gives audible feedback (aka "the annoying beeps") I
can program it for a bolus without taking it out of my pocket.

> Disetronic Pros
>    *  2 Pumps! - great for travelling

Or at least mildly convenient on the one time I sent my pump in to check
something that I thought was a problem -- it at least provides some piece of

>    *  Sounds like it is more durable

My experience:  I was biking down a steep hill a year ago with my pump tucked
into my biking tights, hit a patch of wet leaves, the bike went out from under
me, I landed on the pump, got a nasty bruise from hitting the pump, tore my
tights where they were caught between the pump and the asphalt.  The pump got an
almost imperceptable ding on its corner and is still working fine.  I'd
certainly say "durable"

>    *  Waterproof =FB without additional case

It's _really_ waterproof:  it will stand an hour or so submersion riding in my
bathing suit pocket while snorkeling without leaking.

>    *   Delivers insulin every 3 minutes
>    *  auto priming =FB not sure how this works

It's just a button-push which provides approximately he right amount of insulin
to fill a new tube.  Slightly convenient.

>    *  display tells you how much insulin is left

I'm surprised at this: it's such a convenient feature I assumed that both pumps
had it.

>    *  No PVC=C6s in infusion sets
> Disetronic Cons
>    *  Looks like out of Star Trek

Is that bad?  And anyway it lives in my pocket so no one sees it.

>    *  Seems TOO easy to accidentally bolus by hitting the h or m buttons
>      w/o a confirmation

A non issue: you hit the h or m button to put it in the bolus mode, and then
push it again to actually program the bolus.  Since they're slightly recessed I
can't imagine it happening unless you hold it in your fist during a fight :-)

>    *  Must set programming to accept EITHER .5 or .1 units
>    *  Batteries need to be reordered by mail

So once a year you order 10 batteries.

Richard G. Larson,  Professor,       Dept of Math., Stat., and Comp. Sci.
U. of Ill. at Chicago,  851 S. Morgan St, M/C 249,  Chicago IL 60607-7045
(312) 996-8616   email: email @ redacted    homepage: http://www.uic.edu/~rgl/
PGP key fingerprint:     FA 6A 8D 21 41 0D 33 E9  E4 5F 46 83 50 C1 34 09