Re: [IP] Blood Sugar Testing

Cindy Borodkin wrote:
> > Also, are you using Humalog in your pump? It hasbeen known to go bad after
> > about 2.5 days in the pump. The best method I and others have found to
> > correct this is to mix Humalog with R (or Velosulin) in a 5 to 1 ratio, though
> > some find 4 to 1 or 3 to 1 works better.
> Hi Ted,
> It's been a long time since I wrote to you last.  This little gem caught my eye
> though and I have to respond.  I've never heard of this method.  How does it
> extend Humalog's life?

Humalog has been called "rocket fuel" and it seems to share the instability of
My experience found that Humalog just seems to lose strength after about 2.5
so I always reloaded nmy syring every 2 days to avoid it. Then the idea came up
on this list that adding a small amount of the more stable Velosulin or R seems
to extend the working life of the Humalog. I tried it and found it to be true.

My insulin seems to die off after the second day.  I was
> wondering if it was that my skin isn't absorbing the Humalog as well - sensitized
> skin or something?

Some say the site goes bad, but I find using the mix keeps things going for at
4, perhaps 5 days for me. Try getting a vial of R, even if you need to buy it
and add it to your next syringeful. You may be surprised (I hope).

Ted Quick