Re: [IP] Question

Many people need to test more frequently when starting on the pump. It may
take a month or more to get things "dialed in" properly. Once things settle
down into a more predictable pattern, you might find you need to test only
before meals, at bedtime, and perhaps a couple hours after your largest
meal of the day. This is most certainly a YMMV area.

Personally, I wish I could get away with testing only 4 - 5 times a day,
but I can't. My schedule is somewhat erratic, my meals vary, sometimes
considerably, and my job has more stress than I really like to deal with.
On top of that, my blood sugar has always swung quite dramatically. All
good reasons to pump, and also very good reasons for me to test more
frequently. I'm not too happy about the frequency of testing, but it
certainly beats not knowing.

On those days when you "hover" at 80 points above range - are you eating
the same type and quantity of food compared to "normal" BG days? If yes,
perhaps your basal requirements are changing. If you are eating
differently, take another look at your ratios for your boluses, and also
take a close look at the lead time necessary for the type of insulin you
use. These are two variables which might have the greatest impact
initially. You've previously mentioned issues with your infusion sets,
perhaps having them inserted too deeply, and this could also be a factor.

My CDE advised me when I started to not sweat the small stuff (everyone's
definition of "small stuff" is different). As I gradually dialed some
things in, other things needed adjusting. Eventually, most stuff started to
even out. The number of tests decreased, the wide swings in my BG flattened
out, infusion set changes became "second nature" (well, kind of).

When I get to the screaming frustration stage, my doc always runs down the
"did you try this" checklist with me. If the checklist works out, and I'm
doing everything I can be doing, we usually end up looking at each other
and saying "That's diabetes".

Or, as Rosanna Anna Danna was so fond of saying: "It's always something".

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted