Re: [IP] Some questions about Synthroid

I'm still in the learning process here, so I hope I'm right on with this
stuff. I'm trying to digest some of this from an old Diabetes Forecast
article, dated June 1995. I've restated with "liberal abandon" here. Hope I
get it right (and don't get sued <vbg>)

Synthroid is a pill often prescribed for folks whose level of Thyroid
Stimulating Hormone (TSH) is "out of whack". TSH is produced by the
pituitary gland, and stimulates the thyroid to release thyroid hormone into
your blood. "Thyroid hormone affects how quickly other hormones, including
insulin, are cleared from the blood". (Diabetes Forecast, June 1995).

In my case, I had a high TSH level, indicating that the pituitary gland was
releasing a lot of Thyroid Stimulating Hormone. Since thyroid hormone
affects how quickly other hormones are cleared from your blood, low amounts
of thyroid hormone can result in insulin staying around longer than it
should (insulin reactions). Too much TSH can result in insulin resistance.

What I'm beginning to understand is the intricate relationship of all these
things with each other, and their effects on BG control. It's fascinating,
but can also be maddening, trying to get the right balance.

Hope I got the details right :-)

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted