Re: [IP] Some questions about Synthroid

- --------------8853D044261B6A1B76B6F6F8

Bob: Didn't really think it was an issue taking Synthroid .. I'm on .175mg/1x
day..I'll have to ask the diabetic nurse what my last reading were.. they
usually say, "ah! everything is normal".. what is normal LOL!  I take a large
dose of insulin during the nite... to cover the dawn pheon... starting at 7am
to 12 noon... it must be cause of the
time factor here in Nfld.... will keep you posted..

Bob Burnett wrote:

> Gang:
> For those of you using Synthroid, I've got some questions. Some background
> is necessary:
> In April, I was started on .05 MG Synthroid, 1 X a day. At that time my TSH
> level was 12 (lab reference normal is less than 5.5). My 3T4 level was
> "normal".
> In June, my TSH level had come down to 5.1 (within lab normal range). We
> continued the .05 MG Synthroid.
> Between April and June, I had to do some *major* modifications of my basal
> rates, especially my overnight rates. I needed a major increase to deal
> with a dawn effect. In "rough numbers", my normal basal of .2 needed to
> increase to .9 during the pre dawn hours. This was almost double what it
> had been prior to starting on Synthroid. (A whopper of a dawn effect). Once
> the rates were hammered out, control was generally very good, with an A1c
> of 6.3.
> In late September, my TSH was again up to 10.x. This seemed to indicate the
> middle test of 5.1 was probably just a "fluke". We increased the Synthroid
> to .075 MG, 1 x day. At that time, my A1c had climbed up to 7.8, highest
> since pump start 2.5 years ago.
> Control is getting very elusive. Once again, there seems to be some major
> mumbo jumbo hokus pokus going on with my basal rates. I may need to drop
> the .2 to .1, since I'm going low and staying low. However, the overnight
> stuff is looking funky, also. Sometimes high, sometimes low. I'll be
> validating the overnight rates again soon.
> O.K., Bob, take a breath here, the audience is tired <vbg> So, my questions
> are:
> For those of you who started Synthroid while already on the pump, did you
> find you needed to make a bunch of adjustments to rates and ratios as the
> Synthroid "settled in"?
> Do you find any correlation between your thyroid issues and overall
> control? In other words, as your TSH and 3T4 levels came into normal range,
> did your BGs become more manageable?
> Or am I just howling at the moon?
> Thanks in advance. Private responses are fine also ;-)
> Bob Burnett
> mailto:email @ redacted

- --------------8853D044261B6A1B76B6F6F8

begin:          vcard