Re: [IP] thanks Barb but more ??

In a message dated 10/6/98 1:54:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, email @ redacted

<<  I am still a little confused  If i have
 overbolused, resulting in too much insulin, my sugar level drops and my brain
 send the message to my liver to dump glycogen, if as you write, "the excess
 insulin prevents the liver from releasing glucose" how does the liver do it?
 I think I am missing a piece of this pie.. >>
After a few years of DM (2-5), glucagon secretion is impaired in most type 1
individuals and adrenalin becomes the primary mechanism for raising glucose
levels. Insulin's main function is glucose storage. If the adrenalin response
is adequate, then glucose levels stop falling or increase slightly before they
get dangerously low. In prolonged hypoglycemia, growth hormone and cortisol
may have a role in raising Bg, but do not add to early warning symptoms.  The
longer you have Type 1 and the more often you have low Bgs, the adrenalin
response is lessened or delayed. As a reslult, adrenalin secretion may not
occur until the BG is very low, or the amount released is not adequate to stop
Bgs from falling further.  This counter-regulation defect can make one unaware
that a low is happening, increasing the risk of a severe low.  I hope this
clears up some of the confusion.  I apologise for the length.
There is a lot more to this, but too much to write here.
Barbara B.