Re: [IP] glucagon nightmare

> I would instead give Glucose Gell. It is much faster than juice,
> jelly, honey, all which contain complex sugars which much be digested
> before they will release glucose into the blood stream.

Gluose Gel works great if your bgs have stopped dropping and it can be pretty fast,
especially if you have been running bgs consistently over 100 for the day or two

However, if you (or the diabetic person) is even semi-conscious, close to seizing
(that twitchy stuff) or too hard to control, it can take as long as 15 or 20
minutes to get it to work and in those cases the glucagon is easier and faster.
The info about smaller dose is good to know since if you can eliminate the side
effects it will really help!  For people who have only been diabetic for 5-6 well
controlled or 3-4 not so well controlled years, these kinds of reactions don't seem
to be much of an issue.  I talked to my doctor last week and he mentioned that in
fact the metabolic and neurological reactions to hypos change over the years.  So,
for those who've been diabetic longer, are less well controlled or for these great
well controlled pump kids like Lily and Melissa down the line (and I hope its a
long way down the line), glucagon may sometimes be a better bet.   You have to be
smart enough to have both around and to have trained key people to make a smart
decision.  I have to say that the most terrifying event of my life was the year I
graduated from college and, thinking I was taking great care of my bgs, I had 3
hypos in a row and each time roomates spent 45 minutes trying to get the glucose
gel to work. (I had trouble remembering things for days afterwards!)   I had always
believed it was THE ANSWER.   It's a great answer, just be smart enough to
recognize that at some point it may fail you and you can use the glucagon.

Ok, sorry for the lecture.