Re: [IP] 24hr urine test (was: welcome caroline)

<< So what is the procedure for collecting the 24 hour urine?  In other
 words, what am I in for with Kayla when she needs this? >>

Well, since I have the orange jug sitting here waiting for me to do this, I'll
answer. Your doctor (or lab) will provide you with a large jug to collect the
urine.  She will need to void her bladder first thing in the morning, not
collecting that urine.  You record this as the "start" time.  She should
capture all her urine for the next 24 hours.  I use a plastic cup (disposable)
and pour it into the jug.  It is best to keep the jug in the frig. (don't
worry, nobody will get it mixed up with the orange juice...).  The last
collection is done the next morning at the same time as the start time
recorded the previous day.  Then, you should try to take it to the lab on that
day, so they are working with a fresh sample.

It can be kind of a pain to do, not easily done on a school day, or a day you
are planning a big family outing, for obvious reasons.  But, the information
gathered is valuable.  I would sure rather know about potential kidney
problems sooner, rather than later.