Re: [IP] waiting time??

> Hi my name is Elisabeth, I am 14 years old.  I have had diabetes for almost 3
> years, and have been thinking about getting an insulin pump for a couple
> months now.

He Elisabeth,

My name is Michael. I am Lily's dad and I help run Insulin-Pumpers.
My daughter Lily was dx'd with diabetes right after her 11th birthday
in July of 1994. In December, 5 months later she got her pump, a
MM506. She is 15 now and has been pumping for 4 years, last A1c was
6.5 (I think) and is the best ever.

> In June I had an A1c of 12.5, I have worked much harder at
> getting better control and when I went to the doctor on Monday, It was 9.8!  I
> know that's not great but it's an improvement.  However, when we talked about
> an insulin pump w/ my doc that day, she said I don't have good enough controll

Baloney! you have passed the 'TEST', you are concerned about your
health and making an obvious and successful effort to improve your
control. A pump will make that task much easier.

First of all, take a look at the ABOUT Insulin-Pumpers page of our

You will see that everyone who has started pumping has
lowered their A1c's at least 2% and that the higher they were when
they started, the larger the improvement was.

Then take a look at the 'Kids Who Pump' page. You will see a HUGE
list of successful young pumpers starting at age 2, 3, 4 years old
and up. Why on earth should a 14 year old not have a pump.

> to go on one that my A1c needs to be around 7, she said maybe we could talk
> about it more next summer!  I dont want to wait that long

Good for you.
Do this:
If your present doc will not cooperate, get another.
Call Minimed and Disetronic and get the free videos and literature
about the pump. Ask them for the name of the sales rep near you and
for the names of Doctors that prescribe the pump and the Pump
Trainers in your area. If they don't have Doc's names, the Pump
Trainers will.

The pump mfg's tel numbers are linked on our website.

If you have any questions, reservations or doubts, you or your mom or
dad can call me anytime at 650 494-3351. I would be happy to talk to
you as the dad of a young lady your age who is a successfull pumper.

If you would like to talk to Lily, you can e-mail her at
email @ redacted

Michael Robinton
Insulin Pumpers