Re: [IP] Speech

>  What my question is (after all my rambling) is does
> anyone have any suggestions on how I should go about enthusiastically
> endorsing the pump without sounding like an idiot to all these medical
> people?  Any suggestions would really be appreciated.  Thanks.
An insulin pump does two things for a diabetic (I am sure there are
others) that are dramatic and obvious.

First you can document the improvement in the quality of life for
both you AND your family now that you are freed from the wake, test,
shot, eat, eat, test, shot, eat, eat, shot, eat, test, sleep.........
routine forced upon you by any kind of a schedule that will give you
reasonable control. This clearly has an effect on your day to day
activities, what and when you eat, your weight, and the ability of
you and your family to live a normal life. i.e., you can now sleep in
on weekends, go to the movies and eat pop-corn with your kids, serve
dinner when the kids get home from there activities and eat with them
instead of being tied to a rigid schedule. No more zig-zag hypos ( it
that's true), etc..... there must be a million things (I'd like to
have your list BTW).

Second, there is a demonstratable improvement your hbA1c's (quote
the pre-post numbers) and in hbA1c in pumpers as a group from their
pre-pump days. See the charts on the bottom of the

ABOUT Insulin-Pumpers page. Print them out, take them to the meeting.

Quote the DCCT results:
Improved control of blood sugar reduces the risk of clinically

   Diabetes           Description              Risk of complication
 Complication                                     reduced by:

 Retinopathy        Commonest cause of                  76%
                    blindness in the US

 Nephropathy        Most common cause of                54%
                    kidney failure in the US

 Neuropathy         Nerve damage that may lead          60%
                    to lower extremity amputation
- From email @ redacted Thu Oct 1 22:30:11 1998
These results were obtained by a reduction of the HbA1 levels in the
intensive therapy group by 2% lower than the HbA1 levels in
the conventional therapy group. The average blood glucose level in
the intensive therapy group was 155 mg/dl (hbA1c of 7.2) compared to
the average blood glucose of 231 (hbA1c of 9.5) in the conventional
treatment group.

AND LAST, but not least.

Every one of you, please contribute to the data pool that will help
answer this kind of question.

on the Members Only Page of the website.