Subject: Re: [IP] Them's FIGHTIN' words!!!!

     Okay, I'm going to put my .02 in. Many diabetes nurse educators wear
     the pump with saline to get a feel of what it is like to wear a second
     pancreas. If more endos would do this to really get a feel for what it
     is like to wear a pump and try to get more first hand knowledge of
     what their patients are dealing with, maybe they would not be so quick
     to jump to conclusions.
     When I recently had surgery, my pump made the staff so nervous that I
     had to show five different people how to put it into a suspend mode (I
     should have made them pay for batteries). I did stress that under no
     circumstances were they to do this and that they were to call my nurse
     educator instead. But, it really amazes me that there is such a lack
     of training in a pre-op area of a hospital. In other words, more than
     just endos need to have further education regarding diabetes.
     If doctors are so intent on making sure that their diabetic patients
     have good HbA1c levels then they need to do more reading themselves on
     how pump therapy is the way to go to achieve this.
     Now, I'll get off of my soapbox.