Re: [IP] Humalog action

I was wrong with my number of 60 (brain flatus).  I
rechecked the insert, the number is 10.  This is in the
caption to Figure 2.  "Serum Humalog and Insulin Levels
after Subcutaneous Injections of Human Regular Insulin or
Humalog (0.2U/kg) Immediately before a High Carbohydrate
meal in 10 Patients with Type 1 Diabetes."

Are you sure you're talking about Humalog? I couldn't find
any part of that
insert that refers to a study with 60 patients.

Below, I typed in what I believe is the appropriate part of
the Humalog
patient insert regarding absorption of the insulin. Any
typos are mine. This
insert can be read from Lilly site:

Everything I've read, and my own experience including
devastatingly fast
lows, implies that Humalog is much, much faster for most
people. For people
who are used to Regular, Humalog needs to be treated
completely differently.

The appropriate part from the insert is:

Absorption and Bioavailability -- Humalog is as bioavailable
as human
regular insuling, with absolute bioavailability ranging
betweeen 55%-77%
doses between 0.1-0.2 U/kg. inclusive. Studies with normal
volunteers and
patients with type I (insulin-dependent) diabetes
demonstrated that
Humalog is absorbed faster than human regular insulin (U100)
(Figure 2). In
normal volunteers given subcutaneous doses of Humalog
ranging from 0.1-
0.4 U/kg, peak serum levels were seen 30-90 minutes after
dosing. When
normal volunteers received equivalent doses of human regular
insulin, peak
insulin doses occurred between 50-120 minutes after dosing.
Similar results
were seen in patients with type I diabetes. The
pharmacokinetic profiles of
Humalog and human regular insulin are comparable to one
another when
administered to normal volunteers by the intravenous route.
Humalog was
absorbed at a consistently faster rate than human regular
insulin in healthy
male volunteers given 0.2 U/kg human regular insulin or
Humalog at
abdominal, deltoid, or femoral sites, the three sites often
used by patients
with diabetes. After abdominal administration of Humalog,
serum drug
levels are higher and the duration of action is slightly
shorter than after
deltoid or thigh administration (see DOSAGE AND
section). Humalog has less intra- and inter-patient
variability compared to
human regular insulin.