Re: [IP] Glucometer

On 30 Sep 98 at 14:47, Alan Reed wrote:

> As an insulin injector of more than 40 years i have difficulty in the idea
> that Humalog takes 1 to 2 hours to be effective. My understanding is that
> its peak activity is within a maximum of 30 mins and that when checking or
> setting up afternoon basal levels 'Changing To Humalog?'
> <http://www.diabetesnet.com/hmlgpmp.html> '...simply skip lunch and skip the
> bolus of Humalog ordinarily taken to cover it. I find with Humalog
> injections that there is basically no real residual action after two hours.
> Am I missing the point?

Humalog has a variable activity in your body - just like all the other
insulins.  Some people show signs such as a drop in bg within 15 minutes of
injecting Humalog while some of us require a half hour or more to begin to show
measurable signs...   Many of us have wildy variable absorption for the
NPH/Lente/Ultralente insulins, with differing onset, peak and duration times -
sometimes varying from day to day.  For me, there is a residual action for
Humalog that can last almost as long as it did for Regular...  The curves look
good in the packages but as with so much in medical practice, YMWV.  (Your
milage will vary)

Randall P. Winchester
* misunderstood something.