[IP] Re: virus (READ ME FIRST!)

THIS IS A HOAX!

I hope I caught you guys in time.Please DON'T forward this message to
anyone else. There are dozens of "hoax" messages that continue to
reverberate around the internet based on this kind of chain letter
approach. For a list of the most famous ones, visit
http://www.datafellows.com/news/hoax.htm

I get this message dozens of times a year. It's a huge waste of time and
energy for everyone. There are thousands of IBM viruses and nearly 100 for
the Macintosh, but the ones listed on this page are not among them. Viruses
are a huge problem on the IBM and the hoax page has links to info on most
all of the true DOS/WINDOWS viruses. The MacOS viruses are so little
trouble that people mostly don't talk about them. Simply installing the
freeware Disinfectant 3.7 software will protect you from all of the known
Mac viruses.

Hope this helps,
Alan

At 10:01 PM +0000 10/29/97, Faith Boardman wrote:
>====> WARNING:  If you receive an e-mail titled "JOIN THE CREW", do not
>open it!
>
>It will erase EVERYTHING on your hard drive!  Send this letter out to as
>many people as you can . . . . . . . This is a new virus and not many
>people know about it!
>
>This information was reportedly received from IBM by whomever originated
>this message.  Please share it with anyone who might access the
>Internet.
>
>====> ALSO:  A dangerous virus is propagating across the Internet
>through
>an e-mail message entitled "PENPAL GREETINGS!".
>
>Any e-mail entitled "PENPAL GREETINGS!" should be deleted WITHOUT
>reading
>it!!
>
>PENPAL GREETINGS! appears to be a friendly letter asking you if you are
>interested in a pen pal, but by the time you have read the letter, a
>"Trojan horse" virus will have already infected the boot sector of your
>hard drive, destroying all data present.
>
>In addition, PENPAL GREETINGS! is a self-replicating virus that will
>automatically forward itself to anyone whose e-mail address is present
>in
>your mailbox.  This virus will destroy the contents of your hard drive
>and has the potential to do the same for everyone whose address is in
>your mailbox.  If this virus continues to spread it could do a great
>deal
>of damage to computer networks worldwide.
>
>====> AND THERE'S MORE:
>
>There is yet another virus going around in the last few days.  Do not
>open or even look at any mail labeled "Returned" or "Unable to Deliver".
>This virus will attach itself to your computer components and render
>them
>useless.  Immediately delete any e-mail items labeled "Returned" or
>"Unable to Deliver".  AOL reportedly says this is a very dangerous virus
>and that there is no remedy for it at this time.
>
>====> Please forward these warnings to one and all A.S.A.P.  And--be
>careful out there!

- --
Alan Rowoth          |"Every time I hear people say it's never gonna change
email @ redacted   |     ...I think about you.
PO Box 307           | Like it's some kind of joke or some kind of game
Liverpool NY         |     ...I think about you.
        13088-0307   | And when I see a woman on the news,
315.474.4800         |    who didn't ask to be abandoned or abused
315.474.2766 fax     | It doesn't matter who she is, I think about you."
  www.folkmusic.org  |                    - "I Think About You" Steve Seskin