[IP] WHAT DO I EAT????? -- HANG IN THERE!!

>      I am so frustrated with the foods I should and should not eat.  I have

First, don't get frustrated. Carb counting is hard at first but
becomes automatic after a few months.  My daughter doesn't look
anything up anymore, she knows all the multipliers for most foods and
can estimate unknown stuff within a few percent.  She's 14 and has
been pumping since she was 11.

Second BUY PUMPING INSULIN from Torrey pines press

619 497 0900  ------------ It is 'The Bible'

There is a very handy multiplier chart in the back for most foods.
You can xerox it onto a single piece of paper (75% reduced both
sides) and stick it in with your meter.

Get a kitchen scale with a moveable zero dial (so you can back out
the weight of a plate). I don't reccommend the digital scales because
they are inaccurate when they are zeroed with a plate on them (unless
you buy one that is several hundred dollars). You'll probably have to
find a resturant supply house to get one.  That is where we got ours.
I is kinda big (6-7" high) and has a large round face with a moveable
background scale with a knob in the middle.  Works great!  Lily takes
it with her when she travels (soccer you know) and to camp in the
summer.

>      a carb. ref. book but I don't take the time to look up my
>      foods.  I just count 1 bread = 15gm = 1 carb.  I know what
Weigh the bread. Multiply by 0.5

All slices of bread are different. -- Look on the package, it will
tell you that a serving is xx grams and contains so many grams of
carbo.  Many bread servings are 2 slices for 11 grams others are 1
slice for 14 to 16 grams and so on.  The best advice I can give is to
NOT TAKE ANYTHING for granted.  Weigh or measure everything until you
are comfortable with estimating accurately yourself.  Your control
will be much better this way.

>      pasta is 1/2 cup = 1 >      carb, so I bolus 2 units -1 carb.  Then my educator says" Oh you may
Not really.  Most pasta cooks up to seven cups for each pound of dry
weight pasta.  My recollection is that a half cup is around 25 to 27
grams.  READ the package. It will say (for a 1 lb package) xx grams
per serving , 8 servings.  Simple xx time 8 divided by the number of
cooked cups times the portion of a cup that you eat.  It works --
really!!

Pasta with cheese i.e. macaroni and cheese or pizza both have a
loooonnnggggggg...!!!   digestion time.  Over 5 hours.  You must
spread your bolus out more.  Typical square bolus for most meals is
3 1/2 to 4 hours (I assume you are using Humalog).  You might want an
extra 1/2 hour or more for cheesy things.

>      be going high because pasta is a fast carb".  Well what am I suppose
- --------------------------------------------^^^^^^^  fooey
biscutts and crackers are fast carbs.

Cake with frosting is slow because of the comples sugars and all the
fat in the frosting.

Very little, send Lily and e-mail  email @ redacted

>      you CAN'T control yourself?  Or does this not happen to everyone?
>      I'm in my third week as a pumper and I am still having highs.  Is this
You probably need to profile your basal rate requirements.

See 'Pumping Insulin'

>      normal?
>      I have already learned a lot from this group.  I had trouble with my
>      soft-sert coming out. After reading about it, I tape about 2-3 inches

Make a 'one' turn stress loop and tape it to your tummy.

Michael <email @ redacted>