RE: [IP] Fwd: [Fwd: Fwd: FW: email @ redacted (jeremy e friedrich sen): IMPORTANT! READ...

> ----------

Pumpers and especially email @ redacted --

I apologize for adding bandwidth to this issue, but I've seen no one
refute it yet. If you forwarded this message to anyone at all, please
read the message that follows. The message about "Jessica Mydek" DOES
NOT belong on this or any listserv. Please forward the enclosed message
from the American Cancer Society (www.cancer.org) to everyone to whom
you sent the first message, with your apologies for bothering them and
wasting bandwidth with the original fraudulent message. Even if this
message belonged on the pumpers lists (WHICH IT DOES NOT!!) you should
have investigated it before spreading it around. You owe us and everyone
else to whom you sent this message an apology, and a promise that you
won't send such junk in the future.

Peter McCracken                          email @ redacted
Reference Librarian                             email @ redacted
Joyner Library                                          (919) 328-6201
East Carolina University                        fax (919) 328-4834
Greenville, North Carolina 27858
* Maritime History on the Internet:http://ils.unc.edu/maritime/home.html
*

** I found this in about two minutes by going to the official ACS web
site at http://www.cancer.org , then by doing a quick search for "mydek"
through their site search engine. The site indicates that this message
"may be copied or reprinted by online users." **  -PMc

The American Cancer Society is greatly disturbed by reports of a
fraudulent chain letter circulating on the internet which lists the
American Cancer Society as a "corporate sponsor" but which has in no way
been endorsed by the American Cancer Society. There are several
variations of this letter in circulation, including one which has a
picture of "Tickle Me Elmo" and one that is essentially a paraphrase of
the letter below.

The text of the original message reads as follows:

LITTLE JESSICA MYDEK IS SEVEN YEARS OLD AND IS SUFFERING FROM AN ACUTE
AND VERY RARE CASE OF CEREBRAL CARCINOMA. THIS CONDITION CAUSES SEVERE
MALIGNANT BRAIN TUMORS AND IS A TERMINAL ILLNESS. THE DOCTORS HAVE GIVEN
HER SIX MONTHS TO LIVE.

AS PART OF HER DYING WISH, SHE WANTED TO START A CHAIN LETTER TO INFORM
PEOPLE OF THIS CONDITION AND TO SEND PEOPLE THE MESSAGE TO LIVE LIFE TO
THE FULLEST AND ENJOY EVERY MOMENT, A CHANCE THAT SHE WILL NEVER HAVE.
FURTHERMORE, THE AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY AND SEVERAL CORPORATE SPONSORS
HAVE AGREED TO DONATE THREE CENTS TOWARD CONTINUING CANCER RESEARCH FOR
EVERY NEW PERSON THAT GETS FORWARDED THIS MESSAGE. PLEASE GIVE JESSICA
AND ALL CANCER VICTIMS A CHANCE.

IF THERE ARE ANY QUESTIONS, SEND THEM TO THE AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY AT
email @ redacted

As far as the American Cancer Society can determine, the story of
Jessica Mydek is completely unsubstantiated. No fundraising efforts are
being made by the American Cancer Society using chain letters of any
kind. Furthermore, the email address email @ redacted is inactive. Any
messages to the American Cancer Society should be instead sent through
the American Cancer Society website at http://www.cancer.org.

This particular chain letter with its heartbreaking story appears to
have struck an emotional chord with online users. Although we are very
concerned that the American Cancer Society's name has been used to
manipulate the online public, we applaud the good intentions of all who
participated in this letter. We are pleased to note that there are so
many caring individuals out there and hope that they will find another
way to support cancer research. Jessica Mydek's story, whether true or
false, is representative of that of many cancer patients who benefit
daily from the efforts of legitimate cancer organizations nationwide.