[IP] Re: [IPn] How it all began, part 3

 Thank you, Michael, for taking the time to write out the story of Lily and the
battle for her first pump.

 A bit of back storyb&here in Minnesota, Blue Cross/Blue Shield also tried to be
very cheap when insulin pumps first became available for adults. In the early
1980s, there were not enough pumps to go around for the T1 adults who wanted
them - a waitlist formed. And when people finally got their pumps, the insurance
companies denied the claims! The endocrinologists got so annoyed that a group of
docs approached the MN state legislature about passing a law requiring coverage.
The insurance companies revised their procedures - as they realized that the
benefits of insulin pumps outweighed the initial cost.

 Now, I am guessing that Chapter 4 will be about getting infusion sets covered?
My claims for pumping accessories were typically denied from 1982 on until 1993
or so! Alsob&how best to run these beasts? Whenever my first pump jammed, I
simply opened its back and pushed the lead screwb&not a very scientific way to
fix a high BG! Too bad that the Internet didnbt exist back then.

Denise B
(A sustaining member of IP, please donate to IP)