[IP] WHY DID I GO SO LOW??

I had a major low during the night, drenched in sweat and not really
conscious most of the time. When I finally regained my senses enough to
test my BG was 52. I ate 35 carbs of glucose tabs which should have shot by
BG through the roof but never went over 115 so I must have really need a
lot of sugar.  My sensor history showed a sharp drop at midnight (My BG
tested at 113 at 11:30). My last bolus was four hours earlier with dinner
so I had no active insulin. This is the worst low I've ever had and I
didn't come out of it easily. What could have caused this? I'm a Type 1
with a 5.0 A1C and very steady nighttime BGs. I test and usually have a
small snack based on my BG reading. I've been blessed not to have to rely
on my sensor at night and have never figured out a good way not to get
woken up during the night by "lost sensor, predicted lows", etc.  I'd
greatly appreciate any ideas you have on understanding (and maybe
preventing) this because it was scary!