Re: [IP] Coumadin

Glad to hear you are doing well (despite rehab, haha!)
 I've heard family members say the rehab is the 'encouragement?' to do better in
the future (eat less, exercise more, etc?)

 Despite many I know who deal with that med and insulin, I have not heard of a
correlation....hm

 Weight loss has to have some impact on insulin needs, as does healthier (for
many) eating

 There are other meds as alternatives, but they are newer (more expensive & less
know abt side effects)

My husband and step father(38 years) have taken those newer meds

 Can't recall what hubby took after his last Afib event, but step father has
taken xarelto w success
(But does not need/use insulin etc)

Glad you're back and on the mend!!

MichelleS

<email @ redacted> wrote:

 > I received a new aortic heart valve on October 29 at Mayo Clinic. The
operation went very well. Cardio rehab may kill me.

 > Has anyone out there found a connection between insulin resistance and
Coumadin? I seem to be Coumadin resistant and am up to 10 mg a night. As I
approached that amount, my insulin seemed to become more efficient. That is to
say that I started to have lows after the same meal and the same bolus
> as always.
 > Last night around three am I was 69. I was so surprised that I re-tested. The
second test was 57.
 > I came out of Mayo 25 pounds lighter, but the lows didn't start for weeks as
Coumadin dose rose.

 > Looking for suggestions. I have five more moths of Coumadin. I am thinking of
reducing boluses from 1/8 to 1/10, and basal from 1.65 to 1.60 with midnight to
9 am from 1.75 to 1.70.