From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Jean Van Den
Rawette
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:49 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: (SLIGHTLY O.T.) Re: [IP] ridiculous why we are not able to use
artificial pancreas

Agreed !

 May I add that the move from "animal insulin" to hi-tech recombinant DNA
insulin has led to a disaster in developing countries ? -Or so was I told-
The
much more profitable human-like insulin has made the production of the
cheaper
insulin disappear. If you're a type I in Africa and you're not very rich
compared to the average, you got very few chances to survive. The market
economy
has its flaws as far as the humanity health is concerned.
 Please note that I am not suggesting we should have a political discussion
about such topics in this group. (I mentioned the O.T_ Out of Topic in this
mail
title to be sure)
 It's just that , although I am very happy to benefit from my nice and
up-to-date Medtronic CGSM gear, I do not believe them when call me their
friend.
They want my money and that is it. Most of my friends don't. Pharmacy
industrials do not care about the progress of humanity health. And I am
afraid
researchers have to obey the money management, and concentrate on what will
make
more money. Test strips, as far as I now, are as expensive as they were 25
years
ago. The research went into going from a 45 seconds delay to a fast 5 second
-
and uncrypted communication with my pump. Big deal...

 Then I like the Nasa comparison. What about a Moon-made-artificial pancreas
?
I'd volunteer to make the trip and test the high-jump-low-gravity pump...!
;-)

Jean Debefve

Le 28 nov. 2011 ` 18:24, email @ redacted a icrit :

> John
>
> Lets remember that almost 100 years ago insulin was discovered and
titrated
> from animal pancreases.
> In the next 80 years the duration of insulin action has been improved some
(
> both sped up and slowed down ) and the recombinant DNA technology means
that
> we don't use pig or cow pancreases any more.  BUT human insulin acts in
> under 5 min and is gone in like 20.  In over 80 years.  We haven't gotten
> anywhere near to that activity graph.  The discoveries that have been the
> biggest have led to patents. They are directly linked to revenue.  Much of
> the progress on most fronts has similarly been directly linked to revenue
> potential.
>
> Test strips are similar.  We have been doing cumbersome chemical glucose
> tests for over 50 years.  The time frame and the convenience has improved
> great deal BUT its been 50 YEARS.  Not a great deal of change in that
time.

> To your point it will take the kind of independent money that nasa had to
> make these kinds of progress.

yes