RE: [IP] ridiculous why we are not able to use artificial pancreas

John

Lets remember that almost 100 years ago insulin was discovered and titrated
from animal pancreases.
In the next 80 years the duration of insulin action has been improved some (
both sped up and slowed down ) and the recombinant DNA technology means that
we don't use pig or cow pancreases any more.  BUT human insulin acts in
under 5 min and is gone in like 20.  In over 80 years.  We haven't gotten
anywhere near to that activity graph.  The discoveries that have been the
biggest have led to patents. They are directly linked to revenue.  Much of
the progress on most fronts has similarly been directly linked to revenue
potential.

Test strips are similar.  We have been doing cumbersome chemical glucose
tests for over 50 years.  The time frame and the convenience has improved a
great deal BUT its been 50 YEARS.  Not a great deal of change in that time.

To your point it will take the kind of independent money that nasa had to
make these kinds of progress.