Re: [IP] Artificial Pancreas

Hi all (and Janette)

 Agreed ! I think there is some opportunistic self-praise in calling the VEO
pump an "artificial pancreas". I've been using one in the last few months and am
very happy with the fact that it stops injection insulin when I reach a
pre-determined level (in my case, 60 mg/dl. It's very convenient in case night
lows (and heavy sleep : the VEO is as sound-inefficient as the former Paradigm
pumps are, and so is the green-grey screen).
 It's a nice device indeed. But the main problem remains that the present sensor
devices are measuring the BG one had between 10 to 20 minutes ago. That means
that if your BG is falling sharply (for whatever reason), the VEO will stop
delivering insulin for two hours when you're lower than the pre-determined
level. Then you'll have to wait for your IOB (Insulin On Board) to stop lowering
your BG (that means, in my case, at least 2 hours more) I could have it stop
when 80 mg/dl, but that would mean a big high BG three hours later, in case I
did not hear the alarm

 I'll bet my pancreas did much better than that when it was functional. And I
did not have to tell it how much insulin it should put in my blood, nor did I
have to tell it what I was about to eat.

So the VEO is a better pump indeed. But not an artificial pancreas by very far.
 I think there is a lot of communication teams working on this, trying to
convince the public opinion that the FDA should be suppressed or at least less
powerful. But I do not trust the vendors when they're talking me into the very
nice products they try to sell me. I want them to be "regulated" ! And maybe
Medtronic should get more people involved in their pumps screen and sound
improvement -as well as hacking protection and some other software flaws ? It's
a good pump anyway, mind you ! Could be better, very simply. And it does not not
to be called an artificial pancreas for lobbying purposes.

Jean Debefve
Belgium VEO user with Enlite sensors
Waiting for further improvements...

Le 27 nov. 2011 ` 00:27, Janette Dunn a icrit :