[IP] re: assumptions

Yes, indeed! Very strange. I'll bet this person was not a
CDE, but someone assigned to a caseload of patients with
diabetes. Sometimes these companies don't hire a CDE, but
operate under the "assumption" that a nurse is a nurse, and
knows everything about all chronic conditions.
You do have to know the differences and nuances of both in
order to pass a 4 hour CDE exam.
 Oops! Sorry!
My assumption:  Maybe she passed all questions on the test
except the ones about Type 1.

Barbara A. Bradley, MS, RN, CDE

>Last Spring I had an `interesting phone conversation' with
a `diabetes
nurse' who worked with the company authorized to do diabetes
for the diabetic participants in my work's health insurance.
As the
conversation progressed I told her that I had had diabetes
for nearly 45
years (dx'd  in August 1958 about six weeks before my 11th
birthday) and
asked what experience in working with long-term type I
diabetics. After
giving me information about the qualifications of their
staff, she
mentioned that one type of diabetes might change into
another even
suggesting that a type 1 might become type 2 and no longer
need insulin.
I found that strange coming from someone who should know
about diabetes
more than the average medical care person.<