[IP] Re: Assumptions

Last Spring I had an `interesting phone conversation' with a `diabetes
nurse' who worked with the company authorized to do diabetes education
for the diabetic participants in my work's health insurance. As the
conversation progressed I told her that I had had diabetes for nearly 45
years (dx'd  in August 1958 about six weeks before my 11th birthday) and
asked what experience in working with long-term type I diabetics. After
giving me information about the qualifications of their staff, she
mentioned that one type of diabetes might change into another even
suggesting that a type 1 might become type 2 and no longer need insulin.
I found that strange coming from someone who should know about diabetes
more than the average medical care person. By the way I knew at the time
that I have no detectable c-peptide; so unless research into beta cell
neogenesis is successful or islet cell transpants become plentiful I
will always be insulin dependent. I do think that because type 2 so much
more prevalent than type 1 there may be no way to avoid the assumption
of type 2 diabetes unless a medical record is there.