Re: [IP] Re: ever heard of this? (family history for type 1's) - comments/questions

It's not at all surprising that you and your brother are both type one,
despite the fact that no-one in your family has had it for four
generations. MOST type 1 diabetics don't have a family history of the
disease. Which is not surprising, given how a recessive trait works -
you need to get a "bad" copy of the gene from your mother AND a "bad"
copy from your father. Did your mother and father come from the same
family? Probably not! Most people with these "bad" genes never know
it - and it would never come to light unless they generated a child
with someone else who had the same "bad" gene to pass on. (Even with
such an unlucky couple, each child has only a 25% chance of getting the
bad gene from both parents). This would happen rarely enough that it
wouldn't seem like a family history, in most cases.

More possibilities for "hidden" type 1's - if my daughter hadn't been
diagnosed the evening she was, she would have been dead by morning.
And if she had died, and we didn't order an autopsy (as many grieving
parents don't), her death would probably have been written off as SIDS.
I wonder how much SIDS is really undiagnosed diabetes. Anyway - even
though most type 1 diabetics actually don't have a family history of
the disease, there may be more family histories out there than anyone
thinks at first glance.

- Maria Oyaski
mom to Sigrid, dx'd @ 11 mos; pumping w/ Cozmo since 17 mos.

 Both of my parents had cousins with diabetes, so I'm sure that I got the "bad
gene." I have a first cousin with it. She has 2 nieces with it. But, they're all
on the "fertile" side of the family. My aunt had 7 kids. The cousin with
diabetes was # 7. The nieces with it were born to kids # 2 and #5. So, if my
aunt had only had between 2 and 4 kids, I would only have had a few very distant
relatives with the disease.

 Fortunately, no one on my husband's side has it (his cousin actually told him
that her brother has type 1 treated with pills - he's older and heavier, I think
she's confused) so I don't worry as much about my kids, but my older brother's
kids have an uncle with it.

 Also, I'm just wondering - when a baby dies, do they check blood sugar as part
of the autopsy? I have a nephew who died of SIDS. He was on life support for a
few hours, but I don't know if they checked his blood sugar. He was healthy, not
lethargic or overly thirsty. I would think they would have checked him to rule
out diabetes. Does anyone know? He was the son of my younger brother, as far as
I know, no diabetes on his mom's side of the family.

 So, to anyone who has just read more of my family history than anyone should
have to endure - I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Anita (who is very thankful for her insulin pump!!)

Do you Yahoo!?