[IP] Re: basals and boluses/Relationship with one's doctor

Here's a long one... I have had the same endo since college and that was
almost 20 years ago. I've always liked him because he has given me the
space and the respect to figure out everything on my own, and I also think
he's a fine human being who cares about me and who I look forward to
seeing. He's one of the best-established endos in the state and though
nearing retirement continues to be up to date as far as I can see and is
still very active in teaching and professional leadership. And he's
continuing to learn more about pumps and put more patients on them all the
time. So I'm lucky and I know it. But since we've known each other for a
long time, we've developed some habits, as human relationships always do.
When I see him he glances at my decent averages and my decent A1C and my
24-years-no-complications status and normal bloodwork and very active life
and says "Whatever you're doing, it's working" and never pushes me to try
harder to even things out or examines the fine points of my logbooks, which
don't even exist :), having had record-keeping issues from way back. And I
contribute to this situation by telling him I'm doing great, not
complaining about my daily lows and my constantly changing basal rates and
postprandial highs and drops, pretending to have everything under control,
just like I do with everyone else (complaining being uncool). He has lots
of older Type II patients with serious complications, and I think I'm sort
of a nice break for him, and I like him so much that I kind of want to
please him, and if I wrote down every BG for a week it would not be a
pretty sight! I'm starting to realize from Pam's post here, and many others
on this fantastic list, that some endos actually help you manage the
details of your diabetes care. Wow! And a CDE is a creature I've never once
met. So you guys are spurring me on to look around for some detailed
support. Asking for help when you need it, what a concept. Thanks for
letting me think out loud. Anyone want to share details of what their
endo/CDE does at the office visit?

Laura G.
who is ordering a little scale for weighing rice and bread!! thanks folks