From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf Of Margo Hupe
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 10:32 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: RE: [IP] Checking blood sugar on dog

If you have an elbow callus to work with that gets the job done. If not, you
can try for a place on the ear. If you shine a flashlight behind the ear you
can see where to get the blood. Many people use lip sticks and also shave an
area at the base of the tale. You apply a bit of Vaseline to help the blood
bead nicely.

Also, know that human meters are inaccurate when using animal blood because
the membranes on the strips are geared for the larger red blood cell size of
humans and this poses a problem. There is an animal-validated meter that
just came on the market in October and they use the Freestyle. I really like
this little meter to use on my dog. You can get information at

Also, most of us have found that you have to use the lancet by itself and
not in any type of a holder in order to obtain blood.